Thursday, February 17, 2011

Response to Erica Murray

"Do you think the taller and skinnier can is contributing to a negative portrayal of body image?"


I think that Pepsi went about this new design the wrong way. Like Erica said, they are creating this new "skinny" can as a celebration of beautiful, confident women. This is just as bad as saying that ONLY "skinny" women are beautiful, which is absolutely incorrect. If they created a slogan that was a lot less degrading then I think it would have been okay. I think a slogan aiming at less sugar intake would have generated more sales. I found an article about this controversy and it quotes "Our slim, attractive new can is the perfect complement to today's most stylish looks, and we're excited to throw its coming-out party during the biggest celebration of innovative design in the world," Jill Beraud, chief marketing officer for PepsiCo said in a statement. (charlotteobserver.com). In my opinion, the marketing of this product was very poorly chosen and I think a lot of people were offended.


Read more: Charlotte Observer: New "Skinny" Pepsi Can

No comments:

Post a Comment